National Sports Day 2019 – Dhyan Chand – Hockey
The National Sports Day of India is celebrated every year on 29 august to birth Anniversary of the most legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand who was born on 29 August 1905.
Throughout the country, to celebrate this day, government of India has conducted various programs. On this day, president presented National sports Awards to the players. Also the president conferred Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Arjuna Award and Dronacharya Award.
About Dhyan Chand :
The most famous personality Major Dhyan Chand was born on 29 August 1905 in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh. He was always recognized as the greatest player in the field of hockey player, all the time. He had started playing hockey only after joining the army at the small age of 16 only.
He was famously known for “The Wizard” for his superb ball control and had score more than 1000 goals during his International career. He is mostly remembered for his extra ordinary and most famous goals scoring feats, also to earning 3 Olympics Gold Medal in the field of Hockey in 1928(Amsterdam), 1932 (Los Angeles) and 1936(Berlin).
Different Countries celebrate their National Sports Day on dates as per their own history and dates, which is declared by their own sports committee and their governments. The National Sports Day in India which is also called as the “Rashtriya Khel Divas” and it is celebrated every year on 29 August.
On this day, with lots of Enthusiasm and true sportsmanship sprit, many people from all age groups take parts in sports like Marathon, Kabaddi, Basketball, Hockey etc.
10 Interesting facts about Dhyan Chand – National Sports Day
- The German Adolf Hitler was so Impressed by Dhyan Chand’s stick work that he offered him German Citizenship and the rank of Colonel in his army.
- He used to Love Wrestling but Destiny had already set a much bigger role in hockey Field.
- He was employed by the British Indian Army as a Sepoy at the age of 16.
- He got the name because he used to do practice during the late Night hours under the moon (Chand) light; his fellow players has given him the name.
- The officials in Netherlands has a fear of Dhyan Chand superb Game and was forced to break his hockey stick to check if there was a Magnet inside.
- Dhyan Chand is also known as “The Wizard”. He has scored more than 400 Goals in his International Career.
- In 1956, He was honored with Padma Bhushan.
- He Retired from the Army with the Rank of Major.
- In 1928 , at Amsterdam Olympics, he scored 14 goals and began the top goal scorer in Olympics. Few of the media reports said that, this was not only the match it was historically the magic seen on the Hockey Field ever and so given the name to Major Dhyan Chand as a Magician of Hockey Game.
- Once during the match, he was not able to score any single goals, then he just argued with the Referee, for the measurement of the goal post, everybody was surprised to see this, however, this amazed everyone, when the measurement was actually found to be wrong, according to International rules.
NATIONAL SPORTS DAY IN INDIA VS OTHER COUNTRIES :
INDIA : The National Sports Day in India is observed on 29 August every year. The Rashtriya Bhawan observes the very special distribution ceremony of the Indian Sports persons. Many famous and renowed sports related awards like Arjuna Award, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and Dronacharya Award are given by the president of India to sportsperson who have displayed extra ordinary work during the year.
MALAYSIA : National sports day of Malaysia is also addressed as “Hari Sukan Negara” which is annually held on second Saturday in the month of October, also the major important thing which they deliver to the people ,the significance of healthy lifestyle among its population. The First ever National Sports Day was held in 2015, since the efforts have been done by the malysian people to enhance the performance of their sportsperson.
JAPAN : Japan’s National Sports Day is celebrated every year on 22nd October.During the opening ceremony of 1964 summer Olympics which were undertaken in Tokyo, the celebration of sports day commenced in Japan in the year 1966. It is the day of Global Observance in the field of Sports and not a public holiday.
IRAN : Every year on 17th October , in Iran, it is celebrated a s the National sports Day in observed as Physical Education and Sports Day too. In Iran, it is not celebrated only for 1 day, intact it is celebrated for the whole 1 week, Woow.. Isn’t that Great…!!!!
The main objective of Iran, is to showcase the importance of exercise in our personal daily life and social life too for an every individual. It also emphases on a healthy lifestyle among the people.
ALSO READ : SADBHAVANA DIVAS 2019
Conclusion: There is a huge talent in our country India. ” National Sports Day 2019 – Major Dhyan Chand .“All we need is to tap the talent. The best way to live a healthy and tension free life so that no disease could cause you and to live a disease free country, for that national sports is Celebrated just to aware the social cause and to live a healthy life style that brings so energetic towards every Individual. The historical Background also tells the people who excelled in games that have proven their worth not only in sports, but also for their lives too.
Thus every year on this special day of 29 August we celebrate the “NATIONAL SPORTS DAY OF INDIA” – To give Respect to Major Dhyan Chand.